Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's just not that easy

I know I should probably give up the computer, but it's just not that easy. There is so much information out there, and I just want to read it all. I want to know what people are giving away for free, I want to know how to make peanut butter chocolate cookies, I want to know how to crochet. So I spend hours upon hours looking up things that have really no relevance.

It seems better than the alternative of constantly chasing a two year old (brother), telling him, no don't touch that, don't do that, be nice, give that back. When the little monkeys are entertained by cartoons or toys I have nothing else fun to do.

I need to begin this process with substitution. I need to substitute my almost constant attachment to my laptop with other productive activities. If I try to cut out the Internet completely, I think I may have serious withdrawals. I'm an Internet addict. At least I can admit it.

I want to find activities to do with my two small children while they are still small. I want to do things outside of our apartment. I want to do crafts with them, and not just have them watch me do things.

So the first thing to go is going to be the Internet. Not completely but I will limit myself to three hours per day. Wow that seems like a lot, but one hour in the morning, one at nap time, and an hour after the kiddos go to bed, should be enough time. This means I may have to be more selective about the things I do on the Internet, but I think the trade off will be great.

No comments: